Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Better living?

After asking for the third time, I finally relented and agreed to accompany Dia to Fitness First this evening.

I've always been rather skeptical about gyms. I've heard the horror stories of the loud and obnoxious gym instructors yelling at you, the exorbitant membership fees, and how it's so incredibly difficult to get out of it once you've committed to a year of "extensive privileges". If you ask me, gyms sound like a hell hole. I'm sure not all are like that, but those that are, they scare me.

So I decided to check out the Fitness First website, and the first thing that greeted me was this fancy flash animation with pictures of very well-toned people alongside taglines that read "Endurance wasn't built in a day" and "A strong mind starts with a fit body". Okay, so far, it still seems pretty harmless. Then I noticed it on the top right-hand corner - "We take your fitness personally". Omg. This is gonna be one of those gyms isn't it? I'm gonna have some bloody annoying dude screaming in my ear to "DO IT!" or "WORK IT!". I suddenly have images of White Goodman clouding my thoughts now. I mean, these guys take my fitness personally! The slogan's probably just trying to imply that we're guaranteed personal attention, but I don't like how they've emphasised on the word "personally". It seems so... invasive.

Nonetheless, I continued looking for more information. Okay, there's the usual Body Combat, Body Pump... RPM? Huh.

RPM® is exclusive to Fitness First in Singapore! It is a fun, athletic, cardiovascular cycling class – the ultimate calorie killer. Start peddling and let go as the music takes you on the ride of your life along various terrains, speeds and intensities. Go at your own pace and enjoy a group exercise session full of motivation and sweat!

"Go at your own pace". Now, I like the sound of that. It's my first time at the gym, I really don't need some crazy instuctor dude telling me how slow I am. Too much pressure! However, neither of us can cycle. So unless the whole thing's done on exercise bikes, we'll have to forget about the RPM.

Alright, tonight, I'm gonna go with an open mind. Maybe it's not so bad. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. Who knows? I may end up loving it! One thing for sure, I'm not gonna hesitate to kick someone and run out of there if things start to get scary.

I'm feeling: Doubtful

I'm listening to: Dusk and Summer - Dashboard Confessional

No comments: